Friday, February 24, 2012

Motown Jamdown: Playlist for Feb. 24, 2012

Jamaica responds to the inspiration of Motown. 
This episode owes everything to 
Trojan's Motor City Reggae Box (2006) 

Cougars: I Wish It Would Rain -- Jamaica To Toronto: Soul Funk & Reggae 1967-1974 (Light In The Attic 2006)
The Beat: Tears Of A Clown -- The 2 Tone Collection: A Checkered Past (Chrysalis 1993)
Leroy Sibbles: Baby I Need Your Loving -- Now (Generation 1980)
The Temptations: Everybody Needs Love -- Temptin' Temptations (Gordy 1965)
Slim Smith: Everybody Needs Love -- Trojan Explosion (MOJO 2002)
Prince Jammy: Everybody Needs Dub -- King Tubby & Friends: Dub Like Dirt 1975-1977 (Blood & Fire 1999)
Jackson 5: Born To Love You -- Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5 (Motown 1969)
Techniques: Born to Love -- Techniques In Dub (Pressure Sounds 1997)
The Elgins: Put Yourself In My Place -- The Weekend Starts Here (EMI 2008)
Delroy Wilson: Put Yourself In My Place -- 40 Greatest Hits (Attack Download 2009)
The Fantastic Four: I Love You Madly -- Best Of The Fantastic Four (Soul 1969)
Delroy Wilson: I Love You Madly -- Solid Gold Coxsone Style (Heartbeat 1992)
Marvin Gaye: Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home) (Motown 1962)
Cornell Campbell: Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home) -- Trojan Motor City Reggae Box Set (Trojan 2006)
The Aggrovators: Wherever I Lay My Hat Version -- The Essential King Tubby (Metro 2007)
I Roy: Mr. Benwood Dick -- Bunny Lee Meets King Tubby & The Aggrovators (Culture Press 1970s)
The Temptations: Message From A Black Man -- Psychedelic Soul (Motown 2003)
Byron Lee & The Dragonaires: Message From A Black Man -- Trojan Motor City Reggae Box Set (Trojan 2006)
The (Detroit) Precisions: If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely) -- The Sound Of Sidra (Outta Sight 2010)
Eddie Spencer: If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely) -- Jamaica To Toronto: Soul Funk & Reggae 1967-1974 (Light In The Attic 2006)
The Temptations: I Want A Love I Can See -- My Girl: The Very Best Of The Temptations (Motown 2002)
Jackie Edwards: I Want A Love I Can See -- Trojan Motor City Reggae Box Set (Trojan 2006)
Dawn Penn: I Want A Love I Can See -- No, No, No (Big Beat 1994)
Yellowman: Rub & Go Down -- Nobody Move Nobody Get Hurt (Greensleeves 1984)
Syreeta: Your Kiss Is Sweet -- Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta (Motown 1974)
Stevie Wonder: I Don't Know Why (I Love You) -- The Definitive Collection (Universal UK 2002)
Desi Young: Don't Know Why (I Love You) -- Trojan Motor City Reggae Box Set (Trojan 2006)
Devon Russell: Sexual Healing (Coxsone 1982)

Click here to listen to this show. Or right-click to download (ctrl+click if you're a Mac). For a limited time only!

Ran outta time and didn't get to play this massive song!

1 comment:

  1. TOO AMAZING!

    did u hear this yet? damon albarn recorded this Congolese music in 5 days!

    http://www.npr.org/2011/10/13/141326511/damon-albarn-captures-the-sounds-of-congo

    ReplyDelete